As you may have noticed, I enjoy trying new things. Whether it be different types of food, crafts, whatever…I’ll try nearly anything. I recently discovered a site called Postcrossing.com. The whole point is to send postcards to other members around the world & receive postcards from all over the world. I instantly thought this would be a cool way for my kids to learn about different cultures and places. Leave it to me to turn something fun into a learning experience! I just signed up last week, so I haven’t received any postcards yet, but I have sent out 5 (the limit to have out at once for a beginner). I went to several gas stations looking for postcards unsuccessfully…one guy actually told me he thought postcards were ‘extinct’. I finally found some with a picture of a local bridge on them in a grocery store. I wrote a short blurb about our area and what we enjoy doing, and sent them out.
Our first 5 postcards are headed to:
Sankt Petersburg, Russia
Tseung Kwan O, New Territories Hong Kong
What creative ways do you teach your children about the world?
Today my youngest daughter, aka Chubbs, turns 8. I have been her Mom for a little over 7 years now, and it has been such a blessing. She is beautiful both inside and out. I pray that she has a life full of laughter and joy, that she sees the positive side in trying times, and that she shines bright with the light of God each and every day. We won’t be having her party until next week (today is our weekly swap day), so we will be celebrating 3 birthdays (Chubbs, Big Puppy, and mine) at once next weekend…hopefully we’ll have some awesome pictures!
Join me in wishing Chubbs a very happy birthday by leaving a comment below. Thanks & HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHUBBS! =)
I may complain about our vehicles needing repair, not getting to do things I want to do, that our house is too small, that it always seems like we need more money because our budget is stretched to the limit & some ‘emergency’ has come up, the kids are acting up, the ex’s are being a pain, etc.
But in all these areas I am grateful.
1. I am grateful for our vehicles. They are decent, they get us where we need to go, they may need occasional work but nothing major, and most of all they are paid off.
2. I am grateful that I get to stay home with Froggy. I get to invest in my son’s life in a way that many mothers are unable to do because they have to work a full time job for their families to survive. We get to take vacation at least once a year. We spend quality time together – hiking, game night, movie night, around the dinner table, snuggles, etc.
3. I am grateful that we have a home. There was a time when we were in trouble. Our house was being foreclosed on, we were being forced to file bankruptcy…we were drowning in debt. Desperately looking for a place to rent, everyone wanted to run a credit check…we were even upfront & told them ‘It’s bad.’ We stumbled across a newly listed rental in the paper that we could totally afford. We’ve been in that house for over 3 years now…our landlords are a huge blessing.
4. I am grateful for our finances. We are blessed. Even when an ‘emergency’ comes up, we always seem to have enough money. God is so good to us, and definitely has his hand on our money. We almost have all our debt paid off. We are able to do extra things with the kids and make ‘splurge’ purchases once in a while. Seriously…we are BLESSED.
5. I am grateful for my children. My kids are healthy, beautiful, and super smart. They are typically well behaved, get good grades, have lots of friends, and are very sweet and loving kids. Yeah, they have their off days where it seems they’ve been replaced by heinous alien spawn determined to destroy the house & make me rip out all my hair, but who’s kids don’t go through those days? Our kids have to deal with a split home, which is something we did to them. It takes its toll switching back and forth every week, but they deal with it well. They are very giving, and love to help others…they are wonderful kids and I am proud to be their Mother.
6. I am grateful for the relationship we have with our ex-spouses. For the most part, we all get along. There are moments of tension and/or occasional arguing, but it’s not constant stress. We try to help each other out when we can, and be flexible with the schedule to make a tough situation as easy as it can be.
Our newest project...a bazillion piece dragon puzzle.
Froggy had some poses in mind...here's 'Scared'.
Here's Froggy doing the 'Dragon Pose'.
Link up your Wordless Wednesday post using the Mr. Linky below! Have a great day!
Okay, so it’s been raining/storming for what seems like forever now. We’ve been under tornado watch/warning, severe thunderstorm watch/warning, flash flood watch/warning or any combination of the three daily for the past several days. I think I heard them say we had like 7+ inches of rain total for this period of storms. The lightning and thunder have been brutal…poor Froggy has ended up in our bed every night, and we thought lightning hit the trees in our front yard, but it didn’t. It was pretty stinking close though. I typically like the rain and small storms…consisting of distant thunder & light rain, but this is getting to be ridiculous.
I’m tired of being stuck inside, tired of stepping in wet spots in my socks from people *cough* Big Puppy *cough* coming in from outside, and the bottom of my pants getting wet every time I go outside. I’m starting to get crabby…hopefully I’ll be able to chill out today after I get my housework done and do a little ‘craft therapy’. I’m on a painting kick with Froggy, and it’s nice to not have to think about anything, just enjoy the moment. Ahhh…just thinking about it made me feel a little better. What’s your favorite rainy day activity?
Happy Easter! Whether you celebrate today with bunnies, baskets, eggs & candy, or with praise & worship that ‘He is risen!’, or both…I want to wish everyone a Happy Easter! Personally, we celebrate with both (with very minimal amounts of candy) since we have children, but we are sure to emphasize the real meaning of today.
Matthew 28:6 ~ He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.
If you don’t have a church home, or would like to try something new, check out Brand New Church’s iCampus
. Easter service times are today at 11:15am & 5:00pm CST.
Six years ago today, I married my best friend. It was a chilly day, and I had mixed emotions since my grandmother had passed away the day before. I was crazy excited to be beginning a new life with this wonderful man, but sad that my grandmother was unable to share in my joy. I was glad to be able to share the day with a few family members and close friends though…it turned out to be a beautiful moment that is forever in my heart.
April 23, 2005
If it’s possible, I love him more today than the day I married him. I’m not saying that there haven’t been rough patches, but nothing God can’t handle. I can honestly say that I have never been happier with my life than I am now. We have grown so much together and I look forward to how much more we have to grow. Mostly I look forward to just living my life with this man, my best friend.
Our first dance...almost 6 years after our wedding and ironically at a wedding that isn't ours. =)
Happy Anniversary, Big Puppy. I am so excited about spending the rest of my life with you…what adventures we have in front of us! I love you.
Well, I got distracted and didn’t get a photo of my haul, but here are the deals I found this week.
Scott Naturals Paper Towels 6 rolls $5 – $2.50 coupon – $1 WG coupon = $1.50
Goody Headbands $3.00 – $3RR = FREE
Peeps (4) .75/ea = $3 – $1 WG ad coupon – (2) $1/2 coupon = FREE
Nexcare Bandages (3) $3.49/ea – MIR = FREE
Nasogel $4.99 – $1 peelie coupon – $5 RR = FREE + $1 Money Maker
Reach Total Care Dental Floss $2.99 – $1 coupon – $2RR = FREE
WG Paper Plates (2) $3.29 – $1.51 WG ad coupon = $1.78 (for both)
Colgate Total Toothpaste (2) $6 – $1 coupon – $4RR = $1 (for both)
Green Giant Green Beans (2) $3 – $2.02 WG ad coupon = .98 (for both)
Tasters Choice singles 7ct box (2) $2 – $1 B1G1 coupon = $1 (for both)
Total = $6.26 + tax (after coupons/RR/MIR)
I also made a trip to Walmart and snagged Toy Story 3 Operation game for $2 after coupon for Froggy! It was regularly $15, but was on sale for $5 and I had a $3 coupon. I also picked up a couple presents for Chubbs & Big Puppy since we have Easter, Our Anniversary, and a slew of birthday’s over the next couple weeks. (Can’t post exactly what I bought since they read my blog.)
What kind of great deals did you grab this week? Or do you know of any upcoming ‘Super Deals’?
I’m the type of person that buys gifts all year long when I come across a good deal. Whether it be for someone specific, or just an emergency present, I’ll buy it even if I end up holding it for a year if it’s a good enough price. The problem with this is, that when it comes to my husband or if it’s just something I’m too excited about, I can hardly contain myself and I end up giving the gift early. For some reason, I’m able to control myself with the kids…maybe it’s because of the magic of holidays to kids or something, who knows? Anyway, I have been talking with Big Puppy about this giveaway that I am wanting to host this summer. To me it is huge. Not only because of how much it’s worth financially, but more so because of how much it can change lives. This is something I’ve began to budget for, and if I am awarded the Mom Central Blogger Grant, I will be able to beef up the prize even more! (They recently announced that I made the final round & have a chance to be awarded 1 of 5 $2k grants! I’m so excited!)
I don’t want to totally give away the surprise, but I did want to give a little heads up to my wonderful readers…if you are married or soon to be married, you do not want to miss out on this giveaway! I will announce the big giveaway on June 21st, the first day of summer…stay tuned.