I may complain about our vehicles needing repair, not getting to do things I want to do, that our house is too small, that it always seems like we need more money because our budget is stretched to the limit & some ‘emergency’ has come up, the kids are acting up, the ex’s are being a pain, etc.
But in all these areas I am grateful.
1. I am grateful for our vehicles. They are decent, they get us where we need to go, they may need occasional work but nothing major, and most of all they are paid off.
2. I am grateful that I get to stay home with Froggy. I get to invest in my son’s life in a way that many mothers are unable to do because they have to work a full time job for their families to survive. We get to take vacation at least once a year. We spend quality time together – hiking, game night, movie night, around the dinner table, snuggles, etc.
3. I am grateful that we have a home. There was a time when we were in trouble. Our house was being foreclosed on, we were being forced to file bankruptcy…we were drowning in debt. Desperately looking for a place to rent, everyone wanted to run a credit check…we were even upfront & told them ‘It’s bad.’ We stumbled across a newly listed rental in the paper that we could totally afford. We’ve been in that house for over 3 years now…our landlords are a huge blessing.
4. I am grateful for our finances. We are blessed. Even when an ‘emergency’ comes up, we always seem to have enough money. God is so good to us, and definitely has his hand on our money. We almost have all our debt paid off. We are able to do extra things with the kids and make ‘splurge’ purchases once in a while. Seriously…we are BLESSED.
5. I am grateful for my children. My kids are healthy, beautiful, and super smart. They are typically well behaved, get good grades, have lots of friends, and are very sweet and loving kids. Yeah, they have their off days where it seems they’ve been replaced by heinous alien spawn determined to destroy the house & make me rip out all my hair, but who’s kids don’t go through those days? Our kids have to deal with a split home, which is something we did to them. It takes its toll switching back and forth every week, but they deal with it well. They are very giving, and love to help others…they are wonderful kids and I am proud to be their Mother.
6. I am grateful for the relationship we have with our ex-spouses. For the most part, we all get along. There are moments of tension and/or occasional arguing, but it’s not constant stress. We try to help each other out when we can, and be flexible with the schedule to make a tough situation as easy as it can be.
Photo credit: Simply Topoz – Gratitude Journal: Gratitude Unlocks the Fullness of Life
To sum up, I love my life. We are extremely blessed in every aspect. I am so thankful for all that we have, have had, and all that God will trust us with in the future. I don’t feel like I’m a whiner, but I do feel like I need to express my gratitude more…I want to have an ‘Attitude of Gratitude’. Currently, aside from all I mentioned above, I am grateful for our safety through these recent storms and flooding, I am grateful for my wonderful friends & family, I am grateful for the strength of my marriage, and I am grateful for God’s grace…which I experience daily.
What are you thankful for today?