Waking from the nightmare…

As you may have read in earlier posts, HERE and HERE, we had quite an eventful weekend. What started off as a typical weekend with the kids…aside from having to care for a child with shingles (that’s an entire post in itself), and Greg having to work most of Saturday…ended in total chaos. If you want details in a play-by-play fashion, read the above posts…this post is more details of what was actually wrong with him, and what happened/didn’t happen on Sunday.

Greg was diagnosed as having Atrial Fibrillation. It is basically that the top chambers of his heart (atria) were beating fluttery and irregularly and not in sync with the bottom chambers (ventricles). This causes decreased blood flow…which in turn made him light headed. They performed an ultrasound to look at his heart, which was way cool and gross at the same time.
You could see the valves fluttering and it looked like his heart was just beating weird all over the place. He was pale and had slight tingling in his fingers. He was in the ER for about 6 hours before they decided to admit him sometime around 5:30am on Sunday. He sent me this picture from his phone to try to make me feel better…
I was able to finally get there around 9:00am after a friend of ours came to stay with the kids. They had him on a drip of Cardizem to slow his heart rate hoping that his heart would convert back into normal rhythm on its own. The plan was if this didn’t happen by noon, they were going to shock him to convert it back to normal rhythm. He was a bit nervous about this…I was terrified. I began to lose it a bit when the nurse was explaining it to me. If they had to shock him, they would have given him medicine to put him to sleep…not really asleep, but where he would be able to talk to them but wouldn’t remember anything. They would then put pads on his chest and back, use the defibrillator, then give him meds to wake him back up. He would be groggy and out of it for a few hours, but would most likely be able to go home that day. I thank GOD he didn’t have to go through that. (The nurse said that his heart was trying to convert itself, but just wasn’t quite getting it. His heart rate had been fluctuating wildly in a range from as high as 155bpm to as low as 30bpm.) After taking a short nap…maybe 45 minutes, he awoke about 10 til noon. He was still pale and getting a bit anxious because of the threat of shock looming. At 12:15, he looked at me and said ‘I’m back.’ He had felt his heart go back into normal rhythm on its own. He began to regain his color immediately and was excited and ready to go home. The nurse came in and confirmed that he had converted, and the doctor would be in soon. It took about 2 more hours before he was discharged. We praised God for fixing his heart issue…it was down to the wire and we were so nervous, but we were reminded that God is not limited by our time or schedule. (The doctor was actually supposed to be there at noon, but didn’t get there until almost 1pm.)
We arrived home to a barrage of ‘Daddy!’ and hugs. Shortly after getting home, our friend Brandon showed up with pizza for our family. Greg enjoyed the company of his friends for awhile, we ate some pizza, returned a multitude of phone calls and texts, and then snuggled on the couch for the rest of the evening.
We are truly blessed to have such wonderful friends and family. There were so many prayers and well wishes that we lost track…hopefully we responded to and thanked everyone. Today, Greg is taking a day off of work to rest. (He fought me on this, but I insisted he needed a little more rest.) He has been sleeping peacefully on the couch all morning, and is currently snuggled up with Grayson just enjoying life. It almost seems as if it was all just a bad dream. It all happened so fast, and ended as quickly as it began. It really has been a bit of a reality check for us, and we are not going to take so much of our lives for granted. We are so thankful for our relationship with each other, with God, with our children, with our friends, with our family…there are no words to describe how much we appreciate it all.

0 thoughts on “Waking from the nightmare…

  1. You rock the house! Can you help me be more on top of MY list too? LOL

    Budget tweaks.. ohh you're a smart cookie. Christmas is coming! Definitely must incorporate a lil tweakage lol

    Ready to go again, m'dear? ;)

  2. Budget tweaks! I need to do that with Dave as well. Just some upcoming things (birthdays, anniversary, beginning of school)…. I need to remind him what we need.

    Have a great week… thanks for joining!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>